In Memoriam: Milo White

Everyday as I left the house worried about what awaited me, I would look forward to getting home and seeing Milo, his little face still scrunched up from sleep, hopping down the stairs to greet me. As I walked past I would poke my hand through the banisters to rub his head. He would grab it with both paws and wouldn't let it go.

Today at 2.30pm we had to let go. We said goodbye to our Milo. He was just 6 years old. Milo really was the most handsome of cats, with enormous saucer eyes and turned up button nose. He was also the most adorable; full of quirks and neuroses that made him even more lovable. He hated the hair-dryer, the hoover and the door bell with a passion but loved the sound of the key in the lock, clean sheets, tinned tuna, shoes and a wash from his twin sister Lola, who survives him. He knew when I was going to bed and would always be waiting in my side of the bed when I appeared from the bathroom. More than anything he liked it when we were not at work and he had us all to himself for a day or weekend. Not as chatty as his sister, he would flop down on the bed and grunt his approval when he realised we were not going anywhere.

Milo was diagnosed with Poly-cystic Kidney Disease nine months ago, but his eventual demise was very rapid. Milo was a Short haired British Blue, a breed which is prone to this distressing genetic condition. If you are thinking of purchasing a British Blue, or any type of Exotic Short hair or Persian, spare yourself the anguish and make sure that the breeding pair whose offspring you are buying both tested negatively for PKD. It is your responsibility as a potential pet owner to ask for a copy of the PDK Negative Certificate.

It is possible to eradicate this rare and horrible disease, which is not detectable until the cat has already lost two thirds of its kidney function and is untreatable and fatal.

If you are a breeder who has not had your cats tested then you should be ashamed of yourself, and you will soon be acting illegally.

We will miss Milo greatly but I know one day the loss we currently feel will be replaced with the fondest of memories, for the fondest of companions.

In memory of my Milo. My Milly Molly Moo.

Comments

LaneyW said…
A lovely piece for the loveliest cat, poor sweet Milo Smilo.

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez