Saturday Shopping: Redchurch Street; E2

The overwhelming impression I got on Redchurch Street was how friendly the shop staff were, not once did I encounter a morose sales assistant hunched over a lap top, everyone was perky and lively and genuinely pleased to see me; nowhere was this welcome warmer than in Labour & Wait. I love this store, and not only for its personable employees, I adore every last thing in it. Those aware of Stateside trends will be familiar with Drinking Jars, I have not seen them in the UK but Labour and Wait has them for £6 each. I also feel in love with a gorgeous oversized canvas Tote, £80. 

Those that want to be one step ahead, should pay a visit to Tracey Neuls’ glorious shoe shop. In a world full of the homogenous, it is so refreshing to see something genuinely new and unique. Ignoring trends, Tracey’s creations are for the style makers rather than followers; her Big Top Shoe, £410, is destined to become a classic of the future. 
I received exceptionally friendly service in Aesop too, the store whose botanical preparations are sold according to skin type. I left with lots of lovely samples to try and a desire to buy a dog; if only so I should use Aesop’s wonderful Dog Wash, £25. 

Talk of furry things, Murdock’s has its finger on the pulse with its brand new Beard Moisturiser, £24, I seemed to be the only male in Shoreditch without whiskers so hopefully they are doing well with this innovate line. I took a shine to their Black Tea Cologne too, £70, quite lovely. 

Across the road, at the back of this interesting clothes store, I was delighted to find Santa Maria Novella, I could browse this wonderful range all day, just for the packaging alone. The fact that the items smell wonderful and work so well is just an added bonus. I bought Weekend Soaps, £16, that are meant for travelling but will be great for guests. 

Equally thrilling was the spotting of an Etat Libre d’Orange shop, which sadly was not open when was visiting. This wonderfully outré perfumery is the darling of the self monikered ‘fume heads’ – cult fragrance fanatics – with scent names such as Fat Electrician this Parisian brand is definitely one to watch. 

There is something wonderfully comforting about the Jack Wills store, whether it is its old fixtures or the rethought British clothing classics, it makes you want to sit down and stay there. Luckily for them, I didn’t but I was particularly impressed by the men’s shoes and by the Thornscroft Boot, £229, in particular. 

Watching the handmade pasta being rolled, stuffed and folded at Burro e Salvia was somewhat mesmerising, the skill and dexterity of the chef was as impressive as the pasta itself, none of which needs to be drowned with a heavy sauce, I recommend just a touch of melted butter and black pepper. 

Is worth a visit for the array of one of finds and the delicious menu. I had a Nordic Salad (new potatoes, gherkins, capers in a crème fraiche, dill, chive and parley dressing, with smoked salmon) for an amazing £5.

This article by Lawrence Roullier White, appeared originally in the Completely London blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez