Today I Will Be Wearing: Cologne Bigarade by Jean-Claude Ellena for Frédéric Malle Editions de Parfums.

Today I Will Be Wearing: Cologne Bigarade by Jean-Claude Ellena for Frédéric Malle Editions de Parfums.

I love a visit to our PR’s agency’s offices, with my partner Michael Donovan’s very learned, and encyclopaedic knowledge of luxury fragrances, each trip is a rarefied treat. I adore looking through his cupboards of testers of the amazing brands he represents and cherish the occasional opportunity for an anonymous and secret sniff of a soon to be released scent. Michael treats every new fragrance release like his baby, and his pride and passion is contagious – no wonder the world’s press holds him in such high esteem. 

In the office environment is possible to linger longer over the selection of scents than one might feel comfortable doing in a store and so invariably I discover a hither to unknown fragrance that I might not have picked up otherwise. 

As usual I made a bee line to the Frédéric Malle collection – one of my most admired range of perfumes.

However with cologne in its name I might well have passed over Cologne Bigarade (2001) but how wrong, and what an oversight, this would have been. Seeing the extraordinary Jean-Claude Ellena, the great nose behind my adored Terre d' Hermès (2006) amongst many other classics and being halfway through his book ‘The Diary of a Nose: A Year in the Life of a Parfumeur’, fuelled by Michael’s enthusiasm I put down the bottle of Geranium Pour Monsieur (a scent of which I cannot get enough) and spayed Cologne Bigarade.

It was love at first spray: a completely new olfactory sensation which conversely felt strangely familiar; the sign of a truly classic scent.

The sparkling sour top notes of orange blend beautifully with the base of hay and grass, which unusually is very much there in the opening. It is quite a frantic fragrance that calms beautifully on one’s skin, the warmth of which allows the fleshy heart of fresh rose to work its palpable magic. A subtle spicy pepper underlines the sensuousness of this luxurious scent. 

So it was straight off to town for a bottle of latest love and one of my old faithful available from Les Senteurs & Liberty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez