A Quick Chat with Matt Zhuk of Ex Idolo


Ex Idolo is a niche fragrance house that has set the British perfume scene on fire in recent years. Following the release of their signature scent, Thirty Three, back in 2013, the fragrance world was left waiting a whole two years before news of the brand's latest release began to surface. Hand blended in London's Marylebone by talented nose Matt Zhuk, the quality and consistency of his perfumes is instantly evident, and new scent Ryder represents a new chapter in the emerging story of this exciting house. On the eve of Ryder's official launch, I was lucky enough to sit down with Matt to ask him a few questions:

Both Ryder and your previous release, Thirty-Three, feature very special ingredients like aged Oud and rare Omani Frankincense. Is the ingredient your primary inspiration when creating a scent?

For Thirty-Three I'd say that's probably more true than for Ryder although I have to admit that Omani Frankincense is a very inspiring material as well! Subconsciously it may have also had that effect. The primary inspiration for Ryder is the history and the experience of the private clubs of Mayfair and St James - but rather than attempting to go to for "realism" in the interpretation it's more of a question of taking that idea, and translating it through the lens of human experience, emotion, etc. It's the complete opposite motivation from bringing in a headspace analysis device or any other analytical type of approach.

How has Ryder been received so far? 

Much like any perfume release it's had positive reviews and also some detractors. I'm only human so obviously I do like to check up on these things to some degree, but largely I try to remember that the scent is what it is, and that the numbers and metrics don't really matter.

Both your releases are quite dark in character, would you say those are the type of notes that resonate with you most strongly?  

I'd say that style definitely appeals to me the most as a wearer of fragrance, and both perfumes being similar in that regard is a result of the very small structure behind Ex Idolo, so of course I do no focus groups, use no Nielson data research, etc.


What next for Ex Idolo? 

I'm not sure - Ryder was fairly unplanned as was the original foray - whenever something feels right then I'll move towards bringing it to market. I am working on some things right now but getting something right for me at least is a long and difficult process and I never know where anything will go until it gets there.










To experience Ryder for yourself, and hear Matt talk through this fabulous fragrance, why not come along to our launch party on the 30th of September? Tickets are available on our website, here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez