Meet the Maker: An Interview with Roderick Barker-Benfield of Rodology


Artist, photographer, and designer, Roderick Barker-Benfield has spent the past two years creating intricate jewellery and accessories that combine his lifelong passion for creativity with a minute eye for detail with stunning results. We sat down with Rod to discuss his process, and the work that goes into sourcing and creating a pair of his exquisite 'Mr Darcy' cufflinks. 

How long have you been creating bespoke jewellery and accessories?

A couple of years now.  It all started as a happy accident whilst I was working on a small sculpture commission for a friend.  I thought the piece could benefit from a few small cogs so I ordered some online, but what actually showed up was a complete (and still working) watch movement.  I'd never seen anything so small and intricate before and decided it would look better mounted on a silver chain.  I'd just created my first piece of upcycled jewellery and Rodology was officially been born!

How long does a typical ‘Mr Darcy’ cufflink take to make?

They don't take particularly long to make, however I sometimes have to wait a while until I can find a closely matching pair of watch movements before I can make a pair of matching cufflinks. I have drawers and drawers of them in my workshop just awaiting the perfect partner.  As most of them are steel you sadly can't solder them onto traditional cufflink backs so I instead use industrial strength jewellers glue.  The glue takes a while to cure and reach rock hard strength, but I tend to get a production line going when making so I can rustle up quite a few pairs at once!

How do you go about sourcing materials for your creations?

Most of my movements come from old watch makers or jewellers having a clear out and as such I tend to buy in bulk.  Every time an order arrives on my doorstep it's like going through a mini treasure chest and I love finding rare shapes or makes I've never heard of.  Most of the movements I use are either Swiss or Soviet and occasionally a beautiful Omega or Rolex will show up.  I hang on to these for bespoke commissions for any customers wanting something a little special though as they're few and far between!  Other than that I love zooming about on my scooter talking to jewellers and suppliers in and around London.  Considering I only started a couple of years ago, it's amazing how quickly you can learn where to find the best bits from.  A few of them are trade secrets though so I'll stop my answer there!



What has been the biggest challenge in creating the range?

Sourcing a constant supply of watch movements is definitely a challenge - especially at this time of year when demand can easily outstrip supply.  I'm pleased to say I've not missed an order yet though so I must be doing something right.  Other than that the hardest thing is making sure I'm getting my products out there and seen by people in the hope that some of them will make a purchase.  I've been lucky to have worked with some great retailers such as Roullier White over the past couple of years who believe in my products enough to stock them on their shelves.  It's a real pat on the back for something I've worked long and hard on and it inspires me to keep making and designing new things.

Can you talk a bit about ‘upcycling’ and what it means?

'Upcycling' is where you take something that already exists and give it a new lease of life by repurposing it into something else.  With enough imagination you could pretty much upcycle anything - old floor boards can be reclaimed into great bespoke furniture and broken bike chains can be repurposed into contemporary accessories.  Making something new out of something old has been around forever, but 'upcycling' as a movement from which a designer can (hopefully) make a living is relatively new.  

What plans have you got in the works for 2016?


Next year will hopefully see my new collection of silver and gold plated jewellery in a few more shops and I have plans for an range of upcycled flip clocks as well as a range of personalised silver letter press pendants. Should be a busy year I reckon.  Pardon the pun, but 'watch' this space!


Head over to our website to take a closer look at Rod's work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez