Aristocratic Tea Cups, Diamonds Are Forever, Lacquered Pawns, Fat Fish, Sand-Blasted Peonies, Stepped Vases & Holey Jugs!

 

Aristocratic Tea Cups, Diamonds Are Forever, Lacquered Pawns,
Fat Fish, Sand-Blasted Peonies, Stepped Vases & Holey Jugs!

Hallo iedereen!

I am using a Dutch greeting this morning in gratitude, as the Netherlands has provided so much inspiration this week!

How are we all doing? We are in a strange land at the moment, neither locked-down nor free, but it is certainly feeling a lot better to see smiling faces. I am greeted so heartily every day and respond with enthusiasm although, if I am honest, I find that facemasks rather obscure identity and I not always sure whom I am addressing! I am delighted to see everyone, so I don't suppose it really matters (plus I think peering at people is a little disconcerting!).

I went to retrieve Lola's ashes this week - I hadn't felt quite up to the task, but the thought of her on a shelf at the Vet was beginning to eat away at me. She is now ensconced at home in a beech urn, which is surprisingly attractive - rather fitting as she was a beautiful creature.

On a positive note, Lady Ange's new kitchen was finally finished and she baked her first cake! This is major news as she is not renowned for prowess in the kitchen, but with a lot of encouragement an impressive date & walnut cake made its debut .  We are hoping that this is just the beginning!

Now I must apologise in advance for this week's missive - it is my most self-indulgent to date. As Buying Director I can be extremely practical, however on the odd occasion I get swept away by enthusiasm for a 'high impact' collection and all bets are off. It was thus with a truly inspiring and wonderfully eclectic brand from Amsterdam, which epitomises part of my design aesthetic - pieces that are not essential but that I truly desire! These are the things that make me happiest, so please bear with me as this unveiling is very much about fantasy - and where would we be without it?!

Shop Now - Tea Cup & Saucer Set Of 4 - Gold - £120.00

At the top of the list is a set of four, golden, porcelain teacups lined with coloured glazes. The spot on the saucer beneath the cup matches the glaze within (they are all different shades) as is the underside of the saucer so there is wonderful detailing. In style, they are straight out of Versailles - glamorous and grand with a delicate shape. Oozing finesse, I cannot wait to serve tea in them - really need a powdered wig for these!

Shop Now - Porcelain High Tea / Coffee Set - Diamond - £250.00

But wait, is it this luminous collection I crave, or is it a porcelain High Tea (or coffee) set in a yellow, green and gold diamond pattern. The shape of the tea/coffee pot is elegant, and the colours simply dazzle. They would light-up any room and come in a set of 4 sandwich/cake plates (2 yellow, 2 green), 4 cups and saucers (same) plus the tea/coffee pot. These are hand-finished and exquisitely beautiful. High Tea is lovely on a Sunday afternoon in the summer months when one can push supper back a little to accommodate and I can think of no more attractive companions than these. I am hoping that the GD will have mastered savoury scones to adorn, otherwise it will be clotted-cream all the way!

Shop Now - Lacquered Stool / Side Table - Various Colours Available - £225.00

I was drawn to these striking, lacquered stools/side tables, as the shape reminds me of pawns in a game of chess. The high-gloss makes them look clean and sharp and I like the flexibility of something that can be both a chair and a table! In a contemporary interior they will look exceptional,  small explosions of bright colour that can sit beside the bed or next to an armchair and used as one pleases.

Shop Now - Big Fat Fish Storage Jar - £76.00

My 'big fat fish' storage jar is a complete extravagance - I just love him because he makes me smile. HUGE and made from recycled glass, I think that he should be used to house something naughty and indulgent like cookies or chocolates but obviously the choice is yours. I am considering Tea-Bags, as they are the thing that I use most, however they are not very pretty, and I think that he deserves better!

Shop Now - Peony Wine Glass Set of 6 - Assorted Colours - £120.00

These 'Peony', coloured wine glasses have been sand-blasted to achieve the exquisitely detailed floral motif and come as a set of six different shades. In sunlight, they dazzle and in candlelight they glow, so these will be an asset for dinner parties (once they return indoors - I am not risking them in the garden in the dark!) and the GD and I have been enjoying them à deux if we have something extra-special to imbibe!

Shop Now - Stepped Glass Vase - Extra Large - £140.00

It is extremely difficult to explain the sheer scale of these stepped glass vases! They are an epic 50cm tall, which is tall enough to place at floor level and fill with architectural sprays of cotton or catkins. Available in amber, smoke or green, I have just one of each of them simply because they only fit in one spot in our window - but I have to say that they have caused quite a stir on the High Street, with noses pressed against the glass in admiration!

Shop Now - Multi Coloured Storage Jars - Set of 3 - £146.00

If I am honest, I bought this stunning set of glass storage jars for myself! Again they are enormous and vivid, in turquoise, magenta and green, with contrasting caps which really make the colours pop. I am not entirely sure that I will use them in the kitchen - somehow they seem too beautiful for storing pasta(!), however, just as I was trying to decide where I could display them, my bestie, Terry, noticed them in the window and bought them for himself - how rude! I only purchased two sets and, while I was wrestling with the acceptability of us both owning the same design, a customer flew past and pipped me to the post! Seriously, I am really thrilled when something that I have chosen initiates such an immediate, passionate response - plus I got straight on the telephone with the designers and have secured another 4 sets which will arrive at the end of the week! I intend to be much faster with my purchase this time and the other three sets are available for pre-order today.

Shop Now - 60's Holey Jug - £39.99

These handmade, holey jugs scream the 1960's - they are bright, sculptural and futuristic. I thought that they would be a lovely asset when entertaining in the garden for water, juice, iced tea or even rosé. They look beautiful with flowers, either in contrasting of matching shades or simply standing alone in a patch of sunshine. 

Shop Now - Brick Vase - £34.00

And finally, from closer to home, we celebrate the return of the London Brick Vase in a very popular yellow and also a new red, which I have used with roses this week and it looks a knockout. Bright, fun and iconic!

Have you hosted anyone in the garden yet? We are entertaining ce soir - I realise that the weather is not exactly tropical, but I can wait no longer, so we are cooking something hearty and warming and have advised our friends to wear their thermals! The garden is far from finished, but it will be dark and a few candles will soften the effect, plus who cares? It's our first social event of the year! Yay! 

Wishing you all a happy (and warm!) weekend,

Michael x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez