Tutti Frutti, Sea Sponges, Soap On A Rope, Grape Lamps, Busy Bee Napkins & The Scents Of A Tropical Paradise!

 

Tutti Frutti, Sea Sponges, Soap On A Rope, Grape Lamps,
Busy Bee Napkins & The Scents Of A Tropical Paradise!

Good Morning!

Well the weather is still a problem!! A less than balmy 16 degrees in London today and a friend tells me that it is currently 37 degrees where she is on Crete! She was moaning that it was too hot - rude!

My lovely Murano glass 'Fruit' Chandelier arrived this week and I am very happy indeed. I lay in bed and marvel at the craftsmanship and, while I realise that it is not for everyone, I absolutely adore the joy of this piece and smile broadly every time that I turn on the light. That's what great design should do - make you glow with pleasure! My heartfelt thanks to Lori for re-awakening my passion for this beauty - I shall treasure it!

I also wanted to say a quick thank you to another customer (the lovely Jane ), who after reading of our search for the perfect grey paint, took the time to visit me at the store this week to tell me of a wonderful paint company called Mylands (Est.1884) and a shade called 'Chamber's Gate', which looks  absolutely perfect! It is these acts of kindness that make being a retailer the best job in the world!

I had a really lovely Bank Holiday with the GD (weather apart) and we bought a new bed for the apartment, a 19th century, French, Bergere piece that is understated but elegant and,we hope, will also suit our future cottage in West Sussex! As it was chilly and windy, we devoted ourselves to cooking, and the inspiration came from my friend Sasha's recipe book entitled 'Friend's Food and Family'. Sasha's alter ego is as the renowned blogger 'Liberty London Girl' and she has impeccable taste. I love her food because it is unpretentious and full of flavour. A cauliflower salad with pomegranate and tahini was divine, and a delicious yet comforting mushroom Lasagne lasted for two days and made us quite giddy with pleasure - and the Champagne helped obviously!

I had the w/e off and it was lovely to be able to relax for three days even though we couldn't use the garden - honestly, when will the summer arrive? I am not amused!

I have been using my newly re-enamelled roll-top bath quite frequently of late - mostly in a bid to warm-up as it's quite chilly in our stockroom and a good soak really does the trick when I get home! Whilst laying there, pontificating world events the other evening , my thoughts drifted, as they do, to the subject of natural sponges.

I love a sponge - I find them truly beautiful and luxurious and the most effective bathing accessory, however I have not owned one for several years as I was concerned for marine environments and sustainability. I thought that I would do a little research to see if I could find something manmade that would suffice or if perhaps there were now sustainable sponge farms.. and would you believe it, there are!

Shop Now - Natural Sea Sponge - From £20.00

Firstly, my research has shown that man-made, conventional sponges are created from oil-based plastics that do not biodegrade, so these are very bad for the environment! However....our new sea sponges are sustainably farmed and responsibly harvested, as divers carefully trim the sponge so that the base is undamaged. This does not hurt the animal - it is like getting a hair-cut - and it re-grows. 100% bio-degradable and eco-friendly, the natural sea sponge will also last longer than the man-made alternative, is softer and
infinitely more glamorous!  I have the large one and it looks glorious on the bath bridge where it can dry between soaks!

Shop Now - Bamboo Bath Bridge - £48.00
Shop Now - Konjac Sponge - Charcoal - £6.99

I was then on a roll and bought some Konjac sponges, which I first used in Japan may years ago. They are made from the Konnyaku plant root, and are particularly efficacious for sensitive skins - they were traditionally used on babies! Packed with minerals and antioxidants, 100% natural, free from pollutants and vegan-friendly I would thoroughly recommend for their gentle, exfoliating action.

Shop Now - Soap On A Rope - £7.99

And finally, while still in the bathroom, we have brought back a favourite from when I was a little boy - soap on a rope! These are a lot more chic and sophisticated than the soap bars of yore! Made from olive oil and shea butter, they are beautifully fragranced with perfumes from the scent capital of the world, Grasse in the South of France. 'Lime', Apricot' and 'Rose' are delicious. The rope is to hang them in the shower so that they drip dry - a simple but effective concept that has yet to be bettered!

Shop Now - Recycled Glass Grape Lamps - From £299

I was very pleased to receive a large quantity of our recycled glass 'Grape' lamps from Syria. As you may remember, we work with eight families based south of Damascus that have made it through the war and the pandemic but continue to face hardship and danger. Our patronage helps them to remain at home and keep their business afloat rather than joining the millions of refugees and an uncertain future.

Shop Now - Recycled Glass Grape Lamp- XX Large - £375
I have spoken of the craftsmanship and beauty of these designs before, so I shall let the pieces speak from themselves! I would add that this time I have commissioned a HUGE version (40 x 60 cm!!!) meant for the floor or alternatively a large sideboard - it is absolutely stunning, space-age and redolent of the 1960's! It's quite a statement and I am looking for a home for one myself!
Shop Now - Bee Collection - Napkin Set Of 4 - £14.95

Our Busy Bee napkins are back. Made from recycled cotton so they are eco-friendly as well as stylish, these are a real favourite with our customers and we have been out of stock for ages. We now have mustard, green and navy to choose from.

Shop Now - Coconut Candles - £19.95

And finally we have added coconut candles to our repertoire!  That is, scented candles that are housed-in  coconuts and include a drizzle of coconut oil! The nut provides the bowl that holds the wax which, in turn is made from soy. The wooden wick crackles seductively whilst the fragrances are strong and summery - Raspberry/Vanilla, Lime and well..... Coconut! I thought that these would work inside and out (once it is warm enough to sit in the garden!). And, while it remains sadly chilly, will infuse the home with the scents of the tropics! We can only dream!

The GD est avec ses parents pour le week-end and I am working at the store today so will need a rest tomorrow. I love working on Saturdays as there is always such a buzzy atmosphere.... however my feet tell a different story! I want so desperately to support my local eateries but it is simply too chilly for me in the evenings. I have promised them that I shall be there as soon as the thermometer hits 20 degrees so for now it's a leisurely lunch, a little bit of hedge trimming and a movie with my feet up!

Have a great w/e and stay warm - although Sunday does at least look promising!

Michaelx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez