Y Viva España !

 

Y Viva España !

Happy Saturday! And it really is a happy one as we return to something approaching our former lives next week! My dear friend Jo recently invited us to her birthday celebrations in early June and we realised that some of our close-knit group have not seen each other since 2019! I shall not dwell on the past, but look forward to a wonderful summer of fun and friendship and even the odd hug - steady! 

I had such a lovely day at the store last Saturday and thank you so much to those who visited me with words of encouragement - much appreciated! This w/e however, the Good Doctor is back from Hampshire so we are having a relaxing break at home, with friends joining us for brunch in the garden on Sunday. Finger's crossed that it stays dry - I cannot remember a worse spring for temperatures and we so deserve a lovely, long, hot summer!

Never mind - onwards and upwards! My spirits soared this week when we received a telephone call to tell us that our new collection from Spain was ready and had been shipped to arrive this coming week. I have longed to share this news with you for months but had to commission every piece so thought that it would just be a tease! How I have managed to hold my tongue (a rare occurrence) until now I shall never know!

So here it is - my favourite find of the season!

Shop Now - Andalusian Ceramics - Jug - £64.00
Shop Now - Andalusian Ceramics - Dinner Plate - £37.00

Somewhere in the beautiful, rolling hills of Andalusia lives a demi-god of a ceramicist by the name of Juan. He pots and paints the most joyous, celebratory pieces - Bowls and Plates and Jugs - that are based on traditional Spanish shapes and decoration. He has given the whole collection a delightful twist by using contemporary shades to really make the pottery sing - a golden yellow, blushing coral, sea green and azure blue are utterly enchanting and as soon as I saw them, I imagined a table in the garden groaning with fruit and bread and cheese all served from these gorgeous pieces, glittering in the sunshine. In addition to the traditional pattern of flowers, birds and pomegranates, is the Rayas (Spanish for 'stripes') collection of 28cm Charger Plates. These have graduated lines emanating for the centre that slowly widen to an almost feathered effect at the rim. They conjure the rays of the sun - simple, contemporary and very, very stylish!

Shop Now - Andalusian Ceramics - Raya Charger Plate - £39.00

I got completely carried away and have ordered over 100 pieces and Juan painted every single one himself(!!) - hence the hiatus. This is artisanal talent that connects back through the centuries and generations.  Juan is a craftsman, born and bred in Andalusia, who has been creating ceramics for more than 40 years. To say his work is a labour of love is an understatement; Juan controls every step of the hand-made production process. The method is meticulous, starting with each piece being moulded in terracotta on the wheel, then left to dry under the Spanish sun, baked in the kiln, varnished, painted beautifully and then, last but not least, returned to the kiln for completion. Sadly, the successive economic and construction crises of recent years have reduced the once buoyant Andalusian ceramics industry by over 90%, so I feel so very privileged to have found Juan and intend to support him and his beautiful work. My kitchen dresser is already looking refreshed as it is copiously adorned with his plates and my next stop is the jugs. Once again, the issue here is which colour to choose as I adore them all! Am thinking that they will look lovely in my French home - I can imagine pouring a glass or two of rosé from the coral jug and the plates are lovely enough to hang on the wall so I might be able to squeeze in one of every colour!

Shop Now - Andalusian Ceramics - Small Bowl - £20.00
Shop Now - Andalusian Ceramics - Salad Bowl - £64.00

It is a strange feeling to be able to visit restaurants and friends/family indoors again after such a protracted period. I believe that the pandemic has changed us all (even if this is not necessarily permanent) and made us a lot more circumspect and patient. The GD and I shall not be rushing to do too much too quickly, but easing our way back into a social life and eating out. My first stop will be 'Maria's Tortillas' for a glass of Manzanilla Sherry and a plate of Patatas Bravas - Oh how I have missed her potatoes! I think a gift of one of Juan's pieces would be a lovely gesture as Maria has been closed for so long and it will look perfect in her restaurant and remind her of home!

A visit to my in-laws is now possible and my own family, I can't wait! Whatever you do to celebrate our newfound freedoms, I wish you joy - it has been a long time coming and we all deserve a hug!

Have a lovely weekend.

Michael x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez