Hot Stuff!

 

Hot Stuff!

Good Morning!

What a week it has been - no gentle introduction to 2022 for us, more a headlong dive into the maelstrom!

It has been absolutely freezing - Wednesday night, in particular, made me very thankful for the log burner - and the GD and I were wrapped up in mohair throws, with large cups of cocoa, enjoying the flames and a cuddle ( sharing body-heat, obviously)

I thought that I would introduce to you 'Amberley Wildbrooks', a 327-hectare area of protected wetlands that begins at the end of our street! There is a path (Wey South Path) that bisects the land, accessed from the village, and I took my first foray in beautiful sunshine on Wednesday. As you can see, the land is dissected by many ditches, dug in the 1800's, and they create an important landscape for rare birds, insects and plants. The specks that you can see in the distance are about 10 large stags having lunch - boys and girls appear to eat separately for some reason! Over half of all aquatic plants that occur in Britain are found here and I saw Bewick swans, numerous cranes and hundreds and hundreds of noisy geese. As a man who has assiduously avoided mud all his life this was trial by fire, and I learned that you need to be nimble in wellies - move slowly and you sink - it's like quicksand. I was absolutely blown away by the experience; it was just me and nature and I thoroughly recommend it if you are passing (it is boggy all year so don your Hunters!). I am told that a dog is an excellent companion on this particular pathway as they help propel you forward, so I shall arrange to borrow one next time!

This has been my first week working from home, and very much like stepping back in time - I started my PR Agency from the kitchen table twenty-seven years ago and here I am again, although a different kitchen and a different table! There are pros and cons  - I am lucky to have peace and quiet, so this means that concentrating is easier and I can get more done a lot quicker, however I miss the team already and our customers! This year will be all about trying to find the perfect balance...which is always much easier said than done!

But for this week, at least, I am concentrating on re-stocking the shelves with warm indulgences for us all to enjoy, from the comfort and serenity of Amberley. It's a luxury not to have to scrape the ice off the windscreen this morning and it feels like a novelty at the moment, so I shall just enjoy it and see what the future holds. West Sussex has had that effect on me already; having had the tendency to hold on much too tight, I am now looking around and enjoying the view - you see, it's never too late to learn!

We did take a trip to the registrar in Chichester this week to 'give notice' of our intention to marry. It felt like applying for a Green Card as we were quizzed separately, which makes one feel guilty automatically. The stress made me forget the date of the Good Dr's birthday and I thought I might spend the night in custody(!), but recovered in the nick of time and we are all set for Feb 4th! Just the buttonholes to order and the photographer to book.
A friend has suggested a heavy veil - rude!

And so to 'hot stuff', my recipe of indulgent ingredients to ride out the cold, dark, winter months and actually help us enjoy them. There is nothing like being warm and cosy and listening to the sound of rain against the windows or the wind howling.

Shop Now - Half Dipped Cocoa Cup - £10.50

Our half-dipped, cocoa cups have been in constant use this week. Hot chocolate is a passion that I share with the GD and we sample new brands all of the time. Should one add cream? Is a water-based cocoa quite indulgent enough, and then, do we embrace the American tradition of adding marshmallows? The answer to these questions is, 'yes'. Try them all! I would recommend floating a little whipped cream on the top and grating some dark chocolate over it. I like a dash of vanilla extract for comfort and, in extreme temperatures, we go the way of the Aztecs and add a little chilli - not too much, just enough to engender a warm glow! The Cocoa Cups are large (what is the point of mealy-mouthed indulgence?) and have a wide, surface area, which we have found to be the best way to consume hot chocolate - it tends to remain boiling for too long in a straight mug and enthusiasm can be rewarded with a burnt tongue! The terracotta vessel has been dipped, by hand, in a variety of coloured glazes and they look soft and lovely - if Vermeer's models had stopped washing-up for a minute and had a sip of cocoa, it would have been from these! Obviously, the vessels are not exclusively for hot chocolate and they make brilliant breakfast cups, particularly in the summer, when they cool tea/coffee at the surface so that they are drinkable.

Shop Now - Women's Wool Slippers - £39.95
Shop Now - Men's Wool Slippers - £39.95

Cosy feet are probably the most important thing in the winter months - both indoors and out. Our wool slippers are the best for this - I keep mine (in Moss Green) by the front door ready to slip into immediately and, even though I have tile in the hall and slate in the kitchen, my feet are always warm as toast. They are also backless, which was a conscious decision as one needs something to slip into without fuss when getting out of bed in the morning or changing into from outdoor shoes in the hall. These slippers are designed in Copenhagen and hand-made, with care, in Nepal. The wool moulds to the foot over time and, I find, offers great arch support. Sizing is 100% accurate, so choose your shoe size or, if you are between sizes, the size up (because they are backless this will make no difference to the fit).

Shop Now - Women's Cashmere Socks - £30.00
Cashmere socks are the choice to go with them and can also be worn to bed, which makes such a difference on cold nights and saves warming them on your parner (they don't like it!). They are also excellent for country walks, or if you have a day planned with a lot of outside activity. I know that a lot of people do wash them on a cool wash in the machine, but my experience is that if you give them a light, gentle handwash for a couple of minutes with
Mrs White's Woolly Answer, they remain kitten-soft for years and smell
deliciously of cedar (so no moths !).
Shop Now - Irish Tweed Flat Cap - £32.00
Shop Now - Irish Tweed Baseball Cap - £42.00

Approximately 10% of our body heat is lost through the head and so a good hat is a must when it is below 10 degrees. Our Irish tweed, flat caps are classic and stylish, while their baseball-shaped cousins combine contemporary, good looks with traditional practicality (they have secret ear flaps stashed inside!). Both of these designs look equally fetching on men and women and can be dressed up or down depending on occasion. Warm ears are a boon one cannot put a price on in a cold breeze!

Shop Now - Olverum Bath Oil - 125ml - £38.00
Shop Now - Mrs White's - Good Night - Luxurious Organic Bath Elixir - £25.00

I have waxed lyrical about the warming nature of a long, hot soak on previous occasions. I find a bath works wonders if you have been out in the cold all day, have just got home and feel chilled to the bone. I always add oil as have dry skin and need to moisturise, choosing either the classic Olverum, (created in 1931) which contains restorative oils like lavender, eucalyptus, juniper and coconut combined with incredible-smelling Siberian Fir and vitamins C and E. Alternatively, our own Mrs White's recipe 'Good Night' is a winner, with relaxing lavender and chamomile in apricot kernel oil. Both products are 100% natural (so good for the environment and for you) and are housed in glass bottles that can be re-cycled (I re-use our Mrs White's robust bottles for making flavoured oils and vodkas!).

Shop Now - Unisex Pyjamas - Double Brushed Organic Cotton - Navy - £65.00
Shop Now - Unisex Pyjamas - Double Brushed Organic Cotton - Claret - £65.00

I purchased one pair of double brushed, organic cotton PJ's and they are warmest and softest that I have ever owned. So much so that I have found myself frantically washing and drying the same pair in a day as I don't want to wear anything else in this weather! I think that it is time to invest in a second pair. The waist is elasticated and very comfortable, and the shape well cut so the jacket doesn't ride-up in bed. The GD and I both have a pair (not matching - that would be weird!). They are unisex in style and shape.

Shop Now - Can-to-Pan - Recycled Aluminium Saucepan - 3 Sizes Available - £30.00
Shop Now - Stoneware Backing Dish - Rectangular - Speckled - £32.00

And finally - warming food! There is nothing like a lovely stew or tray-bake to achieve a rosy glow, and now that we are using bottled gas to cook (expensive!!) I find it is a really cost (and time) effective way to feed us during the week. I simply double the quantities, so there is enough for two suppers (or dinner and a lunch if preferred) and add a few new ingredients to the second dish just to keep it interesting - for example, last night we had a delicious Tuscan bean stew that was sweetened with good quality Balsamic vinegar (always from Modena) and brown sugar and served with crusty bread, while this evening I shall add some Lincolnshire vegan sausages from the freezer and a few waxy new potatoes in butter. This method is healthy, tasty, economical and wonderfully warming. As with all cooking, it's the combination of ingredients and equipment that determines success. I have kissed a lot of frogs and now prefer our 'Can To Pan' on the hob (non-stick ceramic so no chemicals, goes in the dishwasher, is light and made from recycled tin cans) and our very beautiful, two-tone oven to table bakeware in the oven. On very cold nights, keep fresh ginger and cayenne pepper to hand - a dash of each in casseroles and stews really does the trick!

Finally, I thought that I would share the first new arrival for our kitchen. As the French windows look out onto the South Downs and we have a golden oak floor, we decided on an Arts & Crafts theme that celebrates nature and craftsmanship. Our first piece arrived yesterday - a stunning bookcase with pierced floral and heart cut-outs. This will contain our very healthy collection of recipe books, plus a couple of pieces of appropriate ceramics. I find decorating quite a dichotomy, I am impatient and want it all to be perfect and finished  but then I enjoy it so much that I don't want it to be over. First world problems I realise!

My mother and sister are visiting for lunch on Sunday for the first time, which will be lovely, and today we have a blank slate - what a treat! I feel the call
of Lewes - we haven't visited in ages.

I wanted to say a huge thank you for all the kind Christmas and New Year messages - very much appreciated!


I wish you a toasty weekend ! Until next time, my very best wishes,

Michael x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez