Pie-tastic! Beard Behaviour, Regal Robes & Garland Glass!

Pie-tastic! Beard Behaviour, Regal Robes
& Garland Glass!
Good Morning!
I am writing from bed just before I head off to our SALE! My thanks for all the birthday good wishes - I had a ball. The Good Doctor bought me a recipe book on 'Southern Pies' to remind me of my trip to the U.S. (and probably in the hope that I will get baking!). I have been inspired by the concept of the pie. It is, after all, a historic dish dating back to 9500 BC and is thought to have been brought to Britain by the Ancient Romans. The pie was hugely popular because it is easy to carry and to store and that got me thinking that it is actually still the most versatile of meals. A large pie can be cooked and then the excess frozen for a later date or a slice can be taken to work (or to school) for lunches the following day so it is very economical and time-saving fare. 
Shop Now - Emile Henry - Pie Dish 26cm - £29
Of course pies have become much more sophisticated than the 'humble pie’ (from the French 'umble' meaning deers innards) which was made from offal. There are now vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, sweet & savoury pies to enjoy. I am quite excited at the idea of pies for the winter months and so have brought in the most beautiful Pie Dishes from Emile Henry in France with a dramatic 'ribboned' edge to ensure that my pies are going to look as good
as they taste.
Shop Now - Blackbird Pie Funnel - £5.00
In the middle of a deep pie one needs a pie funnel to release the air so that the pastry doesn't split and what better than these retro blackbird funnels! These are a reference, of course, to the four and twenty blackbirds of the nursery rhyme which is a link to the Middle Ages when the pastry case was not actually eaten but used as a sort of tupperware prototype for fillings of game! These are utterly charming and adds je ne sais quoi when serving.
Shop Now - Pieminister: A Pie For All Seasons - £14.50
I have sourced a rather good book to kick me off, the succinctly entitled 'A Pie For All Seasons' which includes all the sweet and savoury standards  but with more exotic contemporary additions like; Smoked Haddock & Cider Pie; Paneer, Spinach and Pea Pie; Rhubarb and Custard Pie and the rather hearty sounding Chili Con Carne Pie! There are plenty of vegetarian options for me so I shall begin next week as I like the idea of having a few nice pies stored in the freezer for when I'm too tried to cook and also the thought of taking a slice to work for lunch - like so many dishes I suspect that savoury pies taste even better the next day ! I am starting with two pies and will let you know how I get on
- possibly with pictures if the results are pie-tastic!
Shop Now - Wooden Beard Combs - £38
I have a good friend, Jane Cunningham, who writes one of the finest beauty blogs on the planet and she sometimes sends outstanding talent my way. This week it was a delightful gentleman called Joshua, a passionate young Scott who has had the clever idea of creating hand-crafted beard combs for gentlemen from Scottish oak! They are exquisite - large and curved so they fit into the palm like an extension of one's arm and, of course, are wooden so do not cause static like plastic brushes and combs. They are finished in the traditional manner by boiling them in linseed oil and the detailing is just superb - the rear of each comb carries a pattern that was created from combining a bird’s eye view of Edinburgh's New Town street layout and the iconic architecture of the Forth Rail Bridge! This is a wonderful gift if you, your friends or loved ones have Scottish ancestry and, quite honestly, even if you don't!  Obviously they also have irrefutable ecological credentials and, if treated with care, will last a lifetime. My congratulation to Joshua and his team of artisans, these are beautiful things to be used and enjoyed daily by hirsute gentlemen like myself!
Shop Now - Printed Cotton Velvet Robes - £119.00
Shop Now - Printed Cotton Velvet Washbags - £26.50
And now for a bit of glamour! I am absolutely thrilled to announce the arrival of a collection of velvet robes for women! These are made in Paris and bear the most gorgeous prints imaginable. Utterly sumptuous, I cannot think of a more opulent and luxurious way to start (or finish!) the day. Just to make them even more indulgent, there is a collection of velvet washbags in matching prints which would, quite frankly, make Catherine Deneuve deeply envious! Truly chic - I am lobbying hard for a gentlemen's collection for next year!
Shop Now - Hobnail Glass Jug - 2L - Sweet Pink - £95
I went to see 'Judy' with Renee Zellweger this week and predict an Oscar nomination at the very least as she is quite extraordinary. It was also fun to spot the various London locations like the Hackney Empire standing in for the long deceased 'Talk Of the Town'. I was also very surprised to spot our beautiful, pink, hobnail glass jug which is currently nestling in our window and which gets at least two good close ups!
Right, I must away to the Sale front lines! Have a smashing w/e and do consider pie-baking
- it's the future as well as the past!
Michaelx
Copyright © *2017* *Roullier White LTD*, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
125 Lordship Lane
East Dulwich
London
SE22 8HU

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences

or

unsubscribe from this list

View this email in your browser

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez