I Hear The Sound of Mandolins, Moules Glorious Moules, Sexy Storage, Very Grateful, Dressed To Kill, Back In The Knife Drawer, Top Tongs & On The Slate!

 

View this email in your browser
I Hear The Sound of Mandolins, Moules Glorious Moules, Sexy Storage, Very Grateful, Dressed To Kill, Back In The Knife Drawer, Top Tongs & On The Slate!

Good Morrow!

What a week it has been! Firstly I must be very British and moan about the weather! The hailstorms were terrifying and biblical, I have been awaiting the frogs and boils! And it's still quite chilly - my central heating has been whirring into action on several occasions which is just wrong for May! Otherwise, it is beginning to feel a lot more 'normal' and, if you avoid the news completely, it is almost 2019 again! We have not yet popped our toes into the bar/restaurant pool as I have decided to wait for my second jab so that at least I know that we have been as careful as we can be - the Good Doctor was vaccinated eons ago, which is as it should be! 

In other news, my Mum bought a rather bijoux bungalow on the Downs in Sussex - her garden goes straight onto them, so the views are magnificent and I have envy! Let's hope it all goes according to plan and she moves in soon.
 

Shop Now - Rigaud - Complete Candle With Lid - Cyprès - £68.00
I have been enjoying the new Netflix series on the fashion designer Halston. Ewan McGregor(above) is absolutely wonderful in the title role and has the voice, mannerisms and accent pitch perfect. I was fascinated to learn that Halston was an early advocate of minimal living and his apartment  attested to his love of living  "with just a few things"  - although in his case, these few things were a large selection of Warhol paintings, innumerable orchids and my own favourite Cyprès scented candles from Rigaud( also above on both tables!). The new series has literally dozens of them in almost every shot! The man had excellent taste!

Finally, as the Good Doctor has worked without a holiday for almost a year (and it has been quite a year for the NHS!), we have booked some R&R in The Cotswolds in June. Just a week in and around Winchcombe. We have hired a picturesque cottage made of the local caramel-coloured stone and I am really looking forward to a few lazy days checking out the local beauty spots and indulging in good food and a pint at the local hostelry! A holiday feels so much more luxurious than it used to!
Shop Now - Mandoline Set With 7 Blades - £77.00

At the store, I have been in a Kitchenalia frenzy this week, so thought that after sharing so many gorgeous new, decorative designs with you over recent Saturdays, I would dedicate this missive to practical pieces, (just in case you were beginning to suspect that I might be a little shallow! ).

I have been searching for a Mandolin for a couple of years. If you enjoy cooking, they really are indispensable, but seem to be almost exclusively available in bright plastics. I wanted something that looked (and felt) a little more professional and solid, in stainless steel, and finally succeeded in sourcing this beauty. I am now slicing anything that I can get my hands on to perfection and it is sooo much less laborious than trying to slice onions thinly by hand. I am a slicing dervish I tell you and the GD is in heaven too - thank goodness I went for a substantial design or we might have worn it out already! This is a totally new adventure, from simple things like flash frying courgettes in garlic (which literally takes 3 minutes when they have been thinly sliced on our Mandolin) to the most beautifully presented fruit salads (marinated in sugar syrup and a drop of framboise!). Our cucumber slices are now worthy of a close-up and there are too many things that one can do with a potato to go into here! This is not a new 'toy' but a kitchen essential that makes cooking even more fun and food presentation breath-taking!

Shop Now - Enamelled Mussels Pot - £31.00

Lawrence used to adore Moules at Frites when we were at the French House and ordered it whenever we went to the seaside. We found a restaurant in Narbonne that served them with a saffron sauce, and this was his idea of utter heaven. Consequently, he always stocked 'Moules Pots' at RW, which are large cooking vessels designed for the purpose - simply steam the mussels on the hob and carry them straight to the table using the sturdy twin handles - no need of plates! The domed lids keep the mussels warm and these double-up to hold the empty shells once consumed. They are also very stylish. Unfortunately, our traditional supplier stopped stocking them a few years ago and I have been unable to find them again, however this week - success - and they are now back on our shelves where they belong. Moules et Frites is the taste and smell of summer in France and can be prepared in the traditional way with white wine, cream, garlic and parsley or one can play with the sauce, adding a hint of chilli, saffron or even a dash of curry powder!

Shop Now - Storage Jar With Cork Lid, Label & Chalk - From £8.50

Storage Cannisters are a tricky one and I have kissed a few frogs I can tell you! I wanted plain, simple lab-glass, but there is an issue here if one is storing something that is not used regularly, how does one record the sell-by date? Also, I wanted cork lids as these are much better for the environment and easy to use. It's a very specific wish list, lengthened by the fact that I also need the jars to fit into my cupboards ie not too tall - so basically, I had rather given up hope and decided that compromise would be the only way forward. And then, out of the blue, I found them! Three, plain, beautiful jars in different sizes with the prerequisite cork lids and, miracle of miracles, a small blackboard on the front to make notes - either the name, if the contents are visually confusing, or the expiry date! Stylish and eco-friendly, they tick every box and I am delighted - they even come with chalk!

Shop Now - Large Cheese Grater - £16.00

I have a lovely hand-held grater at home that is perfect for nutmeg, parmesan or anything that requires just a few shavings on the plate or over the saucepan, however I wanted a larger design for when I need to grate a lot of something, like cheddar cheese when making a sauce for example. I came across a very handsome example that is quite reminiscent of the Alessi model (but a lot less expensive!), larger and more stable. In terms of good looks, it wins hands down and the circular shape is really effective when in use. I am rather proud of mine and it seems a shame to hide it away in the cupboard when it is so sculptural and striking!

Shop Now - Beechwood Toast Tongs - £4.50

Large Toast Tongs are back. It has taken me a few years to find them again, replete with a magnate so that you can attach to the fridge or toaster to keep them to hand. These have a nice, wide aperture, which will accommodate those thick slices of gorgeous, artisanal bread that always get stuck in the toaster! So many people try to extricate with knives - risking death for a slice a toast! - and I have even caught the GD approaching the toaster with a fork (quelle horreur!), so I highly recommend this simple tool. 

Shop Now - Salad Dressing Maker Bottle - £5.00

Our new, glass, Salad Dressing maker is another kitchen essential worth its weight in gold. It has recipes for the classic dressings printed down the sides, along with graduated measurements (which is actually very useful) and comes with a screw lid to maximise the shake. We eat a lot of salads, especially in the summer, and this is an invaluable tool that avoids mess. I make half a bottle at a time and keep the dressing in the fridge.

Shop Now - Sabatier - Knife Sharpener - £14.50

I purchased a lovely knife a couple of years ago, you know, the one that cuts like a dream, is the right size and weight and you wouldn't part with? Well last weekend, we were slicing some rather ripe, different coloured, heritage tomatoes for a lovely salad that we were serving our guests when the GD noted that my beloved knife was squashing rather than cutting. It was a sad moment, but such is my devotion to my culinary sidekick that I determined to purchase the perfect sharpener to restore him to health and a blade that is Samurai-sharp! 

My first stop was Sabatier, as they have over 200 years' experience making fantastic, forged knives, and I was very pleased to find a double sharpener for the professional kitchen! This design features two grinders: one coarse slot for dull knives and one fine slot for honing sharp blades. It also has an ergonomic, soft grip handle makes this product comfortable to use. I have now restored my beloved knife to optimum health!

Shop Now - Coasters - Set of 4 - Granite - £8.00
Shop Now - Placemat - Set Of 2 - Granite - £16.00

Finally, granite coasters and placemats. I LOVE these - soooo chic and tactile. I bought them for my garden table as it is painted and scratches, however, they are smart enough for the dining room and will be lovely and cool in the hight summer to help cheese and salads stay perky!

There you see, I am a practical soul at heart! These pieces make life a little bit easier.

This weekend, I am styling with the GD in Sevenoaks as our beautiful bed has arrived and we are almost ready for the Estate Agent to take some pictures and get the apartment on the market! One step closer to a cottage in West Sussex ! I do hope it's soon as I have my heart set on a greenhouse - I want to be able to grow herbs all year round as we seem to spend an absolute fortune on them, and I really resent it! 
 

I have been assured that there will be a heat wave in June so we must just take a deep breaths and keep carrying our umbrellas for a few weeks more! I hope that you are beginning to emerge like butterflies and are getting some dates in the diary? It feels strange, as I keep thinking that I am doing something illegal when I know that this is not the case! Next week I have my second jab booked, which will be a relief, so onwards and upwards mes amis!

Have a smashing w/e,

Michaelx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez