That's Why I'm Drinking Again!

 

View this email in your browser

That's Why I'm Drinking Again!

Good Morning - It's June!!!!!!!!

Summer is (almost) officially here and finally we have been lucky with the weather  - I am cautiously optimistic that we are over the worst!

We had a really nice, country bank holiday in Kent and visited Knole Park to see the deer and gaze at the house longingly. I met Libby Sackville-West some years ago at a friend's house and, when she said that she lived at Knole, made the faux pas of asking her "how close to the park?" ! She was charming of course but I did feel foolish!

As it was a long w/e, we decided to indulge in some cocktails, which is what has inspired this week's missive. I adore cocktails as there are endless possibilities and a degree of creativity involved - plus they are so pretty! We are as adventurous with our cocktails as we are with our food so like to try out new recipes regularly - well I like the recipes; the GD tends to go off-piste (for want of a better expression!).

Cocktails need to be treated with respect and I am with Dorothy Parker's "two at the very most", as they may taste innocent but invariably pack a punch. That said, there are some increasingly exciting recipes for cocktails that contain no alcohol whatsoever and I like to serve these after an alcoholic cocktail or two so that guests continue to enjoy the taste sensation of cocktails but are still amusing when they sit down to dinner! 

With cocktails, it is unique flavour that we are attempting to conjure, and I find that, just like deciding what one would like for supper, cocktail tastes are dictated by season, mood and occasion. I do love some of the iconic blends like a 'Whisky Sour' or 'Black Russian', and nothing beats a 'Champagne Cocktail' (with brandy, brown sugar and orange peel) at Christmas! Yum!

I have never been able to sip a classic vodka martini - either shaken or stirred - and believe me I have tried! Perhaps my palette simply isn't sophisticated enough (yet) .... I shall persevere! There are cocktails for every occasion: bubbly, frothy one's for celebrating; dark, brooding, sexy ones for liaisons dangereuses; fruity, exuberant ones for summer sunshine and gorgeous winter warmers for the fireside or 'snug'. Whatever happened to the 'snug' ? They seem to have been expunged from contemporary bar culture but were always my favourite room. Warm, intimate, hidden-away and cosy! There was something naughty about the snug - I feel a revival is in order!

Shop Now - Hammered Steel - Ice Bucket With Tongs - £42.00

Cocktails still have a certain glamour, I think it's all the accoutrements!  This is not like opening a bottle of wine, but about ritual and anticipation! Ice, for example, is a must in the summer and a pre-requisite for the majority of recipes, so a good-sized ice bucket is essential, preferably one that comes with tongs. I am very picky about the size as most are tiny so if one has more than two friends over for cocktails then I miss much of the sparkling repartee as I am always running back and forth to the kitchen to re-fill! This beauty is perfect and will hold enough ice to keep the shaker jangling merrily for hours!

Shop Now - Cocktail Set - Stainless Steel - 3 Piece - £32.00
Shop Now - Cocktail Shaker - Copper Finish - £16.00

If you are new to cocktails, I would recommend a cocktail set to get you started. Ours comes with a two-spirit jigger for measuring, a sieve - essential - a booklet of recipes and, of course, the prerequisite cocktail shaker, all in shiny, art deco-inspired, stainless steel! I know it seems like a lot, but these little gadgets are vital and add to the theatre of it all! If you prefer, we do stock many of the components separately and you may opt for a copper shaker which, I must say, does look incredibly chic!

Shop Now - The Cocktail Garden: Botanical Cocktails For Every Season - £12.99
Shop Now - Recipe Book - Cocktails Of The Movies - £9.99

In terms of inspiration, my favourite books are 'The Cocktail Garden' which has some delicious summer recipes like the Pear & Green Tea Bellini and 'Glamorous Cocktails' which contains the classics - both have suggestions that contain no alcohol which are delicious on summer afternoons and a thoughtful inclusion for the designated driver! Finally, if you are a movie buff like me, you will love 'Cocktails Of The Movies' as it is great fun to guess in which films these tipples make an appearance - 'French 75'.......... anyone? 

                     

Shop Now - Hammered Large Wine Cooler - 6 Bottles - £78.00
Shop Now - Hammered Wine Cooler - £27.00

 “Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.” ~ Louis Pasteur.   

If Cocktails are not to your taste or you are simply having a large number of guests (do not attempt to make cocktails for more that 6 people, it turns from a joy to a job after that!),  then we have a wonderful party cooler for wine or Champagne that will keep six bottles chilled to perfection without the need to keep running back to the kitchen. I like this design better than large ice buckets as each bottle is held separately, which ensures that it is completely surrounded by the ice so all will be evenly and thoroughly chilled. These look very dashing in hammered steel, and we have a single bottle wine cooler to match for
when it's just drinkies a deux!

Shop Now - Champagne Saucer Smoke - £17.00
Shop Now - Martini Glass 30cl - £7.50

Now for the glasses! We have some new Champagne saucers or 'coupes', fashioned from smokey, grey glass. They have a very fine, graduated stem and are a lovely size so would also work for anything sparkling or even cocktails. Glamorous and elegant, they are a dressy glass! We also have classic, V-shaped, martini glass, which still looks
the part for the traditionalist. 

Shop Now - Iittala - Champagne Flute Glasses - 21 cl - Set of 2 - £30.00
Shop Now - Open Up - Champagne Flute Glass - 20cl - £7.50

If one prefers flutes for bubbles then choose from Iittala's iconic, minimalism or our très chic, modernist design from France. For more casual afternoons with friends and family in the garden with a glass of rosé, I would highly recommend our bee glasses from La Rochère. They are a design classic, capacious and made from really thick glass that doesn't break when dropped on grass (this is experience talking!).

Shop Now - Bee Wine Glass - 35cl - £9.00
Shop Now - Marble Coasters - Set of 4 - £14.00
Shop Now - Coasters - Set of 4 - Granite - £8.00

Finally, coasters - I was brought up  properly, and to this day do not set a drink down without a coaster underneath. Cold glasses and alcohol dribbles will damage many surfaces, so I prefer to err on the side of caution. Choose from stunning white marble, gorgeous grey granite or our soft, felt coasters that are actually made from recycled plastic bottles so they do not stain and can be popped into the washing machine!

Shop Now - Recycled P.E.T - Round Coaster - £2.00

There, I hope that I have made the weekend more joyful? I shall be enjoying a glass or two myself this afternoon as we attend our friend Jo's Birthday Garden Party, and shall hopefully be swaying along to my favourite tippling song '(That's Why I'm) Drinking Again' by the luminous Dinah Washington !

I am very excited as next time shall be writing to you from Winchcombe, in the Cotswolds, as the GD and I are taking a trip....... so be prepared for holiday snaps! We have been very organised and have a complete itinerary, taking in Burford, Stow-On-The-Wold, Cheltenham etc. I don't intend to miss anything! 

Shop Now - Mrs White's Unstung Hero (EdC) Anti Mosquito Eau De Cologne 250ml - £20.00

I was very pleased to receive a new batch of 'Unstung Hero' this week, so I shall be taking two bottles with me! I haven't been bitten yet but it's only a matter of time now that the warmer weather has arrived. I am a magnet for mosquitoes, however a good spritz morning and evening will ensure that we both remain blemish-free and smell as fresh as a daisy. This batch lasts until December 2023, so will also be to-hand for overseas trips once were allowed to travel.

Have a smashing w/e, and I hope that you enjoy a glass of something gorgeous.

Cheers!

Michael x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez