There Must be An Angel, Gorgeous Geometry, Modernist Candelabras, Cool Crustacea, Dinky Drizzlers, Bump And Grind & Pawn Stars!

 

View this email in your browser

There Must be An Angel, Gorgeous Geometry, Modernist Candelabras, Cool Crustacea,
Dinky Drizzlers, Bump And Grind & Pawn Stars!

Good Morning!

Have you had a good week? It still feels slightly odd out there - I think that until face masks are consigned to the dustbin( yay!), there will always be a visual reminder that things are not quite what they were! The weather has also meant that the High Street has been much quieter than usual in late May which is sad for everyone - it's usually most vibrant, with plenty of sunshine and balmy temperatures tempting customers out and about to enjoy lunch and/or drinks al fresco........however things appear to be improving! On the plus side, I am now fully jabbed so have booked Maria's Tortillas for next Saturday - our first foray into a restaurant (so sad!). I wonder how many bowls of patatas bravas one can order without appearing greedy? I shall begin with two! While I am on the subject of food, I must share a picture of curried cauliflower with pickled red onions and a mint/ coconut yoghurt dressing that the GD conjured for me - it was one of the most delicious dishes that I have ever eaten and sooooo pretty!

We had a lovely w/e in Sevenoaks - the new Bergere French Bed has arrived, with two beautiful 'pot cupboards' to be used beside it, so the apartment is almost complete - just a few lampshades to go! On Sunday, we went to Lewes to have a mooch in the antique shops as the GD wanted some lamps, and there I fell in love with an Angel - literally! Carved from wood and oozing serenity, my angel has a rather gender-neutral physicality so I am unsure what to call them - apparently angels traditionally have boy's names, however I shall find something suitably androgynous. The Angel is a calming presence already and sits on a golden cloud radiating peace and tranquillity! I am trying to emulate but so far have failed miserably - still, it's nice to have goals!

Having consoled myself with great beauty at home I have also taken proud possession of some absolutely gorgeous pieces at the store. I am a true Libran and aesthetics contribute considerably to my sense of well-being!
Shop Now - Hand Painted 60's Inspired - Dinner Plate - Set Of 4 - £90.00

I am utterly smitten with a collection of 1960's-inspired, geometric plates. The patterns are hypnotizing and the decoration so precise that one can hardly believe that they are entirely hand-painted! The skill required is phenomenal and I adore the juxtaposition of the contrasting shades. They come as a set of 4 and can, of course, be used to serve and are dishwasher-safe, however I am tempted to hang them on the wall as think them almost too lovely to use cutlery upon! Alternatively, there's always the kitchen dresser, so we shall see. Either way, these are real showstoppers and quite dazzling!

Shop Now - 60's Inspired Hinged Nickle Candelabra - £99.00

While we are speaking of the 1960's, I have found a HUGE, nickel-plated candelabra that screams 60's space-age! It comes in five sections that are hinged so one can arrange it in whatever shape best suits the space or pleases the eye. I have been playing with different coloured candles and find that grey looks absolutely fantastic. This candelabra is very tall, so it makes an impactful statement in any room, however it is its flexibility that first attracted me. This will make a spectacular centrepiece at Christmas, adorned with baubles and holly, and can be pared back to sculptural simplicity for the rest of the year. This is the modernist aesthetic at its best and a joy for anyone with an eye for strong design.

Shop Now - Crustacea Round Serving Platter - £34.99
Shop Now - Crustacea Shell Serving Dish - £36.99

I discovered these crustacea platters in Spain. Again, they are handmade and painted and I think that the langoustine and cockle/mussel shells that rise, in 3-dimensional form, from the rim, are really charming! Perfect for serving shellfish, smoked salmon etc, they are highly decorative and make you want to smile! Imagine stacked with crab and crayfish with a couple of lemon wedges - absolutely gorgeous!

Shop Now - Dual Oil & Vinegar Cruet Bottle - £11.00

I have been very lucky to find some truly lovely oil and vinegar bottles this year, however I have been asked, repeatedly, if I could find a piece that combines both, for those with a smaller table. Your wish is my command, so here it is, a stylish drizzler that houses vinegar in a ring design at the centre, surrounded by golden olive oil and sealed with cork. Easy to fill and to use, it is pretty, petit and perfect for the kitchen table!

Shop Now - Salt or Pepper Grinder - £8.50

We unearthed a really well considered grinder this week. We have had an issue with grinders because one must often buy them in pairs and then 'Pepper' tends to outsell 'Salt' by 3:1 ! A very astute designer has launched a grinder that comes with both the 'S' and 'P' caps, so one piece is interchangeable and our problem has been solved! These have the hard-wearing, ceramic grinder-system and come in black, navy and white gloss or a rather unusual, graduated, matt grey. The other thing is the price - amazing and I love a bargain as much as the next man!

Shop Now - Lacquered Stool / Side Table - £225.00

Finally, our 'Pawn' stool/side table is back, but this time in a lovely, sophisticated grey! I adored the bright colours however I tend to stick to quite a classic interior palette and use accessories to inject the colour and drama. These are perfect and I think they may become our new side tables and then we can wheel them out as seating if and when. The high-gloss lacquer is lovely - it bounces the light and looks pristine and clean.

We are in Kent for most of the w/e, hopeful catching up with a few friends and relaxing. I am hoping to get a couple of hrs of gardening in as I still have to dig up all of my poor box-hedge that has been decimated by caterpillars (it looks like an old broom head now), I can then decide on the new planting. Let's hope for some protracted sunshine - a glass of beer al fresco might be nice too -- ahh, simple pleasures!

Wherever you are and whatever you do, enjoy your weekend!

Until next time,

 

Michael x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez