Reach For Red, Soaps On Ropes, Soothing Muscles & Joints, Recycled Placemats And Coasters - Plus Olfactory Musings From The Sherpa Of Scent!

 

Reach For Red, Soaps On Ropes, Soothing Muscles & Joints, Recycled Placemats And Coasters - Plus Olfactory Musings From The Sherpa Of Scent!

Well Good Morning!

And how are we all feeling ? 

The weather continues to surprise - I was actually cold on Monday and forced to search-out a sweater  - a first for August I believe! Still, we must be grateful that we are not sweltering in temperatures of 40 degrees like much of Europe - give me slightly chilly over sweltering any day! In fact, with the dreadful scenes from Afghanistan, Haiti and the forest fires this week, it does make one appreciate, even more, how very lucky we are!

And now, a slightly uncomfortable segue from international tragedy...........

The sofa-bouncing was great fun last Saturday! We bounced around Chelsea Harbour for hrs and have whittled it down to a very elegant (and leggy!) velvet number with a button-back that looks very 'Paris 1930' and should make a great first impression in the Front Parlour, and a big, squishy bed-sofa for the Den, so that we can snuggle and friends can stay with us( we shall be using bedroom 2 as an office until we can build something suitable in the garden).

Colour palettes are in a state of flux - olive green has been mooted as a possibility and we did rather fall for a claret velvet that looked like the plush of a theatre box! Either way, we are ahead or ourselves as cannot order until the legalities are in place. Safe to say the interior is taking shape, albeit in our imagination!

Back in East Dulwich we have been very busy indeed - well I have been as Lady Ange is sunning herself in Somerset, so I have been assisting with mail-order duties! I did find the time to order the most fantastic collection of ceramics, which is now being made for us, so I should be able to take your collective breath-away at the beginning of September! I don't want to reveal too much and nobody likes a tease, but suffice to say that one set is natural, 1970's Swedish in feel, and the other a celebration ofpastels;  a sugared-almond
collection of dinnerware!

Shop Now - Salt or Pepper Grinder - £8.50

Speaking of colour, I decided to introduce a red salt/ pepper grinder to the collection this week as we have been asked so often. Red home accessories have been sneaking back under my radar for a few months now so I thought it time that we got on board!

Shop Now - Soap On A Rope - Various Fragrances Available - £7.99

The GD has been bewailing the fact that we have been out of stock of our natural Soap On A Rope collection for weeks. This range has been a smash hit (hence the fact that we can't keep it on the shelves!) as it is gentle, smells delicious and is the most practical soap for the shower as can be suspended from the taps! This way it dries quickly and doesn't leave any residue anywhere. The scents - apricot, lime and rose - are absolutely delicious and the 220g bar seems to last forever. I remember 'Soap On A Rope' from my childhood and feel a nostalgic fondness for the concept, plus the combination of olive oil and shea butter manages to make my parchment-like skin glow, so this has made it a winner with us both.

Shop Now - Eco Bath - Epsom Salts - Muscle & Joint Soak - £8.99
Shop Now - Eco Bath - Epsom Salts - Relaxing Soak - £8.99

As I am speaking of bath-time indulgence, we have also received an 'Eco-Bath For Muscles and Joints' made from Epsom Salts blended with healing essential oils of lemongrass, peppermint, eucalyptus and black pepper. The salts have a high magnesium content which helps with muscle and nerve function. I will admit to a selfish reason for this purchase as I have been experiencing some joint pain in my hands since I had Covid last year. Not all the time but occasionally in my knuckles, so thought that this would be a wise and soothing investment! I love the smell and have found them to be most rejuvenating! While I was about it, I also indulged in some 'Relaxing Epsom Salts' infused with lavender and I have to say that after a long, stressful day these have been a boon and I am in the land of nod in minutes!

Shop Now - Recycled P.E.T - Placemat - £10.00
Shop Now - Recycled P.E.T - Round Coaster - £2.00

Our lovely German friends have sent us a huge collection of placemats and coasters this week. As you may remember, these look like wool but are actually made from recycled plastic bottles and are, therefore, super stain-resistant and can be thrown in the washing machine, from which they emerge like new. We have toyed with some new colours including the beautiful 'Berry' which is a cross between pink and magenta. We also have green, blue, orange and grey.

We use them in Kent and London as these are the best placemats that I have ever owned - warm to touch, impossible to ruin and large enough to hold plate and glass or serving dishes. The coasters are the best, especially if you drink red wine (or Ribena!), as dribbles are inevitable and these come out easily in the wash. Next time I have a mishap I shall show you a before and after picture - it really is incredible!

Shop Now - Sana Jardin - Savage Jasmine (EdP) 50ml - £95.00

I have long been contemplating some regular 'Olfactory Musings' . I enjoy writing about all aspects of scent and attempting to communicate my passion for perfume, so I hope that you will indulge me! I have decided to speak about my favourite central notes to begin with, as thought that this will give me the opportunity to dispel many myths and illustrate the variety of interpretations available. 

What often happens with smell is that our memory locks onto one fragrance in particular and  opinions are forever based on that. This is unfortunate, as firstly our olfactory memory can be very inaccurate (I cannot tell you the number of times that customers have asked for a fragrance and then say that it doesn't smell anything like their memory of it!) and secondly, there really is a rose/jasmine/sandalwood/vetiver fragrance for everyone, simply because there are so many different ways in which these classic notes can been used. 

There has never been a more exciting time in the history of perfumery, as new technology plus a raft of talented and fearless noses are constantly pushing the envelope and daring to go that extra mile. Also, the 'dare to be different' culture (always an intrinsic element of the British psyche) has been buoyed by Social Media and the knock-on effect is that Perfumers have thrown out the rule book, resulting in exciting, olfactory innovation and the emergence of scents featuring less obvious notes. All of this benefits the consumer as the choice is now immense, however there can be such a thing as too much choice so I thought that a rough guide to some classic ingredients might be helpful. Just call me The Sherpa Of Scent!

For our first sojourn, I have chosen Jasmine, as it is flowering now, and I adore catching wafts of it from gardens. I am speaking of Jasminum Grandiflorum (rather than Sambac Jasmine), the spikey flower with which we are all familiar, the tiny blossom with the big voice! Jasmine is one of the cornerstones of the perfume industry due to its ability to elevate other notes and lies at the heart of a very high percentage of the greats, where it is traditionally teamed with rose. Jasminum Grandiflorum, like all flowers, will smell completely different depending on where it is grown, and jasmine oils can vary
from sweet to green and even musky!

Historically, Jasmine is believed to have come from Iran, however in the 21st Century the majority is grown in Egypt. The flower has been prized for its scent millennia, notably in Indonesia, Arabia and India (where women wear the flowers like a ring!),  however the flower did not make its European debut until the 16th century.

Jasmine has a positively Wagnerian beauty, and I must begin with 'Savage Jasmine' from Sana Jardin.  Although I have mentioned this recently, it is one of the simplest and purest interpretations of the bloom that I have encountered. Whilst there is a hint of cloves and a murmur of tobacco, Jasmine is very much the leading lady and here she is allowed her full Mezzo Soprano belt. This Valkyrie is not for the faint-hearted, but if one appreciates something iconic and theatrical then she is perfection.

Shop Now - Bruno Acampora - Jasmine T Extrait - 50ml £140.00

Bruno Acampora's 'Jasmine T' Extrait is sensuous and soothing, albeit a very concentrated hit of the blossom. Here she is teamed with mimosa (another intoxicating note), plus a soupçon of cyclamen and ylang ylang. This sent possesses an ethereal, dreamlike beauty !

Shop Now - Kerosene - Dirty Flower Factory (EdP) 100ml - £165.00

'Dirty Flower Factory' from Kerosene, takes our heroine down from the pedestal. I don't mean that she has been in any way defiled - heaven forbid! - but some of her, shall we say "earthier" proclivities are laid bare. The opening reveals the Three Graces - jasmine, rose and orange blossom - however the injection of ambergris, musk, sandalwood (plus a surprising hit of chilli pepper!) reveals that her flowers are spiked with grit and there is something of the unmade bed here! Good girls go bad..... but with great style!

Shop Now - Ramon Monegal - Kiss My Name (EdP) 50ml - £130.00

'Kiss My Name' from Ramon Monegal channels the romance of jasmine, teaming it with that other great seductress, tuberose. This is incredibly sophisticated, with a strong note of iris poking through and the rather spiritual, other-worldly allure of Tolu balsam at the base. Definitely worth a smooch!

Shop Now - Houbigant - Quelques Fleurs Royale (EdP) 100ml - £130.00

'Quelques Fleurs Royale' by Houbigant is named in honour of the formula produced by Jean-Francois Houbigant for Princess Adelaide d'Orleans in the early 1800s. This is a perfume in the grand style, with absolutes of jasmine, rose and tuberose which are heady, creamy and luxurious. The scent illustrates the magnificence of jasmine in partnership with other flowers - here she adds opulence.

Shop Now - Carthusia - Gelsemini di Capri (EdP) 100ml - £80.00

Carthusia's 'Gelsemini de Capri ' could be the ultimate jasmine, but not as imagined - this is a very modern realisation of the classic bloom and conjures the island of Capri perfectly. The jasmine is soaked in citrus, from mandarin and lemon to bergamot, and lays on a rich bed of broom This intoxicating combination really captures the floral bouquet of a summer breeze. Exquisite.

Shop Now - Bon Parfumeur - 103 (EdP) 30ml - £40.00

Finally, I shall just slip-in one example of Sambac Jasmine - the multi-petalled blossom from India. This is greener in scent than Grandiflorum and Bon Parfumeur's '103' is a glorious example. This is a more demure jasmine, mixed with tiare flower and hibiscus, with a splash of frangipani thrown in for good measure. This is a tropical beach - not overpowering but distinctly exotic!

There - I hope that you will allow this exquisite creature, in one of her many guises, into your life?! If ever a scent could transport the wearer, it is jasmine, and I adore this flower's ability to be both operatic and delicate.

We have dinner with some dear friends this evening - even dearer because they are wonderful cooks/hosts, so a good time is guaranteed! Tomorrow I shall make another attempt to tackle the garden now that I have dealt with the wasp's nest. The darling creatures burrowed beneath my privet last year and built a huge encampment underground. I managed to cope as was told that once wasps leave, they rarely return to the same nest - but return they did, and both my neighbour and I have been stung. Last Saturday they got so cross that I had to give up on the trimming and retreat indoors, so something had to give! I am a wuss when it comes to killing things and the thought of murdering hundreds of insects - even if they are rather unpleasant - made me fear for my karma. However, this was an 'us or them' situation, so I flushed the nest with cold water, which didn't kill them but collapsed the nest structure, so they have moved on - hopefully for good ! I did sustain a battle wound as stupidly attempted this without wearing gloves , so was stung and have had a hand the size of a cricket ball for days (see normal/sausage hand below!).  I can't drive or sign my name but can just about pick up a cheese scone - am a trooper!

It does, as you will notice, make my hand look younger, so think that I may have stumbled onto a new beauty secret - wasp venom!

 

Wishing you all peaceful, relaxing  and wasp-free w/e,

Michaelx

Website
Instagram
Copyright © *2017* *Roullier White LTD*, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
125 Lordship Lane
East Dulwich
London
SE22 8HU

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences

or

unsubscribe from this list

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez