My Personal Picks For A Cool Yule!

 

My Personal Picks For A Cool Yule!

Good morning - just seven days to go and I am experiencing those mixed, annual feelings of anticipation and panic! It's silly really, but Christmas does undoubtedly bring with it some stresses, simply because of the amount of organisation that it takes.
Having a good time is a full-time job!

Sadly, Lady Ange's birthday soirée did not go ahead as she is very poorly and spent her big day in A&E! Nothing to do with the pandemic but quite a severe tummy infection, so we wish her lots of love and a speedy recovery - the place just isn't the same without her!

To be honest, I am fairly organised this year - the cards have gone out, the menu has been chosen - Stuffed Butternut Squash with all the trimmings - and I am very much looking forward to a traditional Christmas with tons of chocolate, good movies, a few games and putting my feet up! I will finally get to hear the bells of St Michael's (which is just next door, but which I have yet to enjoy as I have been working every Sunday since we moved in) pealing, and hopefully share a sherry or two with our new neighbours in bucolic bliss!

I do hope that you are all prepared and, if not, please finish reading this quickly and get a wiggle-on; time and tide!!!

For my final, gift-related missive I thought that I would be thoroughly indulgent (apologies) and pick a few of my favourites - some brand new and some not so new! Do not worry about timing - our couriers are guaranteeing delivery in plenty of time this week (up to and including the 21st).

Shop Now - Mouth Blown Glass Candle Holder's - From £18.50

We have been waiting for these glass candlesticks for over four months as there have been a supply issue due to the pandemic but, I am sure that you will agree,
they were well worth the wait!

The mouth-blown, delicate designs are absolutely gorgeous, in hot pink, emerald, sunset orange and yellow and they can be teamed with either classic ivory dinner candles or our coloured wax collection (phenomenally popular this year!). I am leaning towards the green but who knows! I think that these are not only very chic but a total joy to behold!

Shop Now - Leopard Print Candles - Set of 2 - £26.00

Speaking of candles, I peaked this week and purchased some leopard spot candles which I think are the epitome of glamour - every time I look are them, I think of Zsa Zsa Gabour purring "I don't accept gifts from perfect strangers - but then, nobody's perfect".
Marvellous, I miss her!

Shop Now - Barley-Twist Candles - Set of 6 - £25.00
Shop Now - 3D Flower Candles - Set of 2 - £31.00

We also have some utterly magical, barley-twist candles - I intend to use these for decoration (they are way too pretty to burn!) and some utterly charming ivory candles decorated with red flowers. These are gorgeous and remind me of the Danish advent candles that we used to burn as children - whatever happened to advent candles, we used to find them magical?

Shop Now - Stelton Click Thermo Travel Cup - £36.50

The rise of the repeat-use coffee cup left me rather cold. I realise, of course, that this was a great idea to reduce waste, however why did they have to be so unattractive and impractical. Consequently, we have never stocked them, that is until now! I wanted a sleek, well-designed cup that will last the distance and not spill if I am clumsy (or if someone bumps into me on the street), and, even more importantly, something that I can open and close with one hand in case I am holding an umbrella or mobile phone. The 'Click To Go' mug ticks every single box - you just press the lid to open and press it again to close. It holds a very large(400ml) cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate (the latter my favourite for a little luxury on the go - Green & Blacks naturally!) and I am feeling a little bit smug about this one - I waited, and patience was rewarded with design excellence.... which is as it should be!

Shop Now - Rigaud - Complete Candle With Lid - Cypres - £70.00
Shop Now - Home Fragrance - From £15.00

Home fragrance has been very much on my mind of late. I think that is because they are such great mood enhancers and atmosphere creators. Rigaud's 'Cyprès' is once again at the top of my Christmas list - one cannot beat perfection - and will be burning in our sitting room for the duration of the holiday. However, we now have a large, long kitchen and I need something for the festive table - I am thinking 'Fig Tree' or perhaps 'Verbena Leaves' but then again, I have been itching to purchase the wonderfully woody 'Red Cedar'! For the bathroom I always recommend diffusers - there is nothing nicer than entering for a shower in the morning and the room is filled with delicious fragrance.... and of course, this
will remind them of you!

Shop Now - Wool Blanket/Throw - 50's Check - From £125.00

Our Portuguese blankets are back after a sell-out first season. My favourite - and yours too it seems - is the vintage design that was created in 1956. It still looks incredibly modern and the colour combinations are both sophisticated and vibrant. We have some larger sizes this time, which work well across the bed and look sensational as well as adding an extra layer of warmth - alternatively they are lovely to snuggle beneath when reading or tele-viewing. Such a lovely gift, as they will last for generations if treated kindly and enjoyed for many Christmases to come. This was Lady Ange's choice of birthday present!

Shop Now - Recycled Glass Vase - Tall - £15.99

Lastly, I thought that I would mention cookware as one must ensure that one is fully equipped! I have invested in some really lovely bakeware - perfect for roast potatoes, joints or those really sexy sprout recipes that have proliferated of late. We are trying another ourselves this year as I LOVE Brussel Sprouts (sorry 'English' sprouts as they are now!) We have some small, medium and large oven-to-table dishes, the latter big enough to hold enough roast potatoes even for me - and I'm an Irishman (my record is 18 - I'm blame my mother-in-law as she cooks a mean roastie!).

Well, there we have it!  I hope that I have been able to inspire a little and fill the stockings of your nearest and dearest!

I am enjoying a relaxing day in Amberley - well not that relaxing, I have my drill with me and will be putting up paintings and a lovely inlaid mirror (hopefully!). Then it's back on the motorway tomorrow for the last push until the big day. I shall drop you a line to wish you a Merry Christmas next Saturday, but do feel free to read it later as you will doubtless be getting the potatoes peeled and the roast prepped!

Thank you so much for supporting us throughout the horrors of this year - it has made all the difference, both practically and psychologically, to have
the support of our regular clients. 

And finally, bless you for allowing me into your homes each week and indulging my ramblings - it is a privilege to write to and for you.

Have a lovely w/e - get those menu's finalised and the last gifts ordered and then put your feet up  - we all need to take a breather before the festivities commence!

Michaelx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Trinity: Perfumes Made by Monks

Bâtard Folding Picnic Knife by Lamson & Goodnow

GQ Magazine: July Issue: My Style: Aman Singh: Alvarez Gomez